The weather is beginning to cool in San Antonio in preparation for the fall season. This is a perfect time to break out those running or walking shoes and head to the trails. San Antonio has many trails that welcome both runners and walkers of any pace. Here are a few options of trails available in San Antonio.
- Brackenridge Park– located at 3910 N Saint Mary St, San Antonio, TX 78212. Though Brackenridge Park is a smaller park, it is a beautiful place for an outdoor run/walk. With about 2 miles trails around the San Antonio Zoo and Brackenridge mini-train area this park has perfect scenery and experience for a short enjoyable run.
- Eisenhower Park– located at 19399 NW Military Highway, San Antonio, TX 78257. This park has 5 miles of trail hiking and jogging. The park contains both paved and dirt trails. Some trails are flat and some have many hills (both steep and gradual). If you choose to hike or jog to the top of the hill there is a beautiful view of the city and surrounding areas. Eisenhower has something for everyone; Whether you are working out or spending the day outdoors with the family, you will have a great time at Eisenhower Park. *This park does allow dogs on a leash.
- McAllister Park– located at 13102 Jones-Maltsberger, San Antonio, TX 78247. This park contains 15 miles of running or walking trails (both paved and dirt), making it one of the largest running/walking parks in San Antonio. McAllister Park is mainly flat with a few small inclines. The park also includes many sports fields and pavilions. This park is perfect for a family day or for a long run in the morning. *This park does allow dogs on a leash.
- O.P. Schnabel Park– located at 9606 Bandera Road, San Antonio, TX 78240. This park contains 4.5 miles of running/walking trails (both paved and dirt). The trails at this park have various difficulties. Whether you are looking to challenge yourself or have an easy run, this park has the trail for you. *This park does allow dogs on a leash.
- Phil Hardberger Park– located at 8400 NW Military Highway, San Antonio, TX 78230 (west entrance) and 13203 Blanco Road, San Antonio, TX 78216 (east entrance). This park includes multiple jogging or walking trails. The trails at Hardberger Park are lined by live oak trees and beautiful outdoor scenery. The trails average about 1 mile on the east side and about 1.5 miles on the west side of the park. For people who are looking for a longer run, many runners will run through Salado Creek Greenway that runs from Huebner Rd to Blanco Rd (4.5 miles). *This park does allow dogs on a leash (or off a leash in the dog park areas).
- Stone Oak Park– located at 20395 Stone Oak Parkway, San Antonio, TX 78258. Stone Oak Park is a relatively new park with 2.7 miles of trails (all trails are paved). This park also has many exercise locations placed along the running/walking trails. The trails run from Stone Oak Pkwy to Evans Rd (at Barbra Bush Middle School). *This park does allow dogs on a leash.
As you can see San Antonio has many running trail options all around town. If you are staying or living in a specific area and would like more information of running/walking trails in your area please feel free to email Kristen. Enjoy your time outdoors in San Antonio!!
Have your own running park you like? Leave a comment for us!!
Picture by Lakenvelder